2014/05/19

Peter Zumthor



Peter Zumthor is an architect who consider more than just the visual aspects of a project. For him, it is not only important how a floor, stair, wall, room or façade look, but also how they feel when one touches them with his or her finger tips, how they smell, how they resonate and sound, and what kind of associations, mental images, expectations and memories they evoke. His buildings always revolve around the relationship between the human body and its environment, and the way the individual subject experiences very specific situations.

According to my Columbarium design project, I have been study on some of his projects and like his idea. His idea of creating the architectural concept inspired me to observe everything around me and using experience from my life not only about architecture but everything to create my own imagination and style.

These are some of his works that may related to my design project.

Steilneset Memorial, Norway







Zumthor simply describes his collaboration with Bourgeois in an interview with ArtInfo as the following, “I had my idea, I sent it to her, she liked it, and she came up with her idea, reacted to my idea, then I offered to abandon my idea and to do only hers, and she said, ‘No, please stay.’ So, the result is really about two things — there is a line, which is mine, and a dot, which is hers… Louise’s installation is more about the burning and the aggression, and my installation is more about the life and the emotions [of the victims].”

Bruder Klaus Field Chapel, Genmany

He describes, To me, buildings can have a beautiful silence that I associate with attributes such as composure, self-evidence, durability, presence, and integrity, and with warmth and sensuousness as well; a building that is being itself, being a building, not representing anything, just being.”







No comments:

Post a Comment